Various Artists Thinkbox Edition 1: Settings
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Thinkbox
Windsor/Detroit's Thinkbox offers itself as the latest entrant to the North American pantheon of micro-labels peddling minimalistic sounds; its first compilation includes known entities like Bill Van Loo and Mark Laliberte as well as less familiar names Steve Roy and Christopher Bissonnette. There's nary a 4/4 kick to be found here-the comp slides from fuzzed needle-hiss to battered ambiance in the vein of Lucky Kitchen's "Sparkling Composers" series. Field recordings, melted bell tones, lung rustle and run-out rattle all blur together into a remarkably accomplished collection that burrows deep into your cortex and blooms there.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player