Various Artists The Third Unheard
- Words: Pete Babb
- Label: Stones Throw
Connecticut. The state hasn't been known as a hip-hop hotbed, and is often considered a suburb of New York at best. This compilation should change your mind. First things first: This is old-school music, spanning from 1979 to 1983, and the production reflects that. With plenty of classic grooves replayed by a house band, Sugarhill-style, this will sound at once familiar and brand new. More than that, though, it sounds fun. CT linchpin Mr. Magic's "Earth Break" is a terrific party cut, while his collaboration with the Positive Choice Band, "2001 Kazoos," is a certifiable roller-rink banger. Throw on your bell-bottom Lee suit and give CT its due, y'all. And enjoy yourself while you're at it.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player