Various Artists The Third Unheard
- Words: Pete Babb
- Label: Stones Throw
Connecticut. The state hasn't been known as a hip-hop hotbed, and is often considered a suburb of New York at best. This compilation should change your mind. First things first: This is old-school music, spanning from 1979 to 1983, and the production reflects that. With plenty of classic grooves replayed by a house band, Sugarhill-style, this will sound at once familiar and brand new. More than that, though, it sounds fun. CT linchpin Mr. Magic's "Earth Break" is a terrific party cut, while his collaboration with the Positive Choice Band, "2001 Kazoos," is a certifiable roller-rink banger. Throw on your bell-bottom Lee suit and give CT its due, y'all. And enjoy yourself while you're at it.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player