Various Artists The Third Unheard
- Words: Pete Babb
- Label: Stones Throw
Connecticut. The state hasn't been known as a hip-hop hotbed, and is often considered a suburb of New York at best. This compilation should change your mind. First things first: This is old-school music, spanning from 1979 to 1983, and the production reflects that. With plenty of classic grooves replayed by a house band, Sugarhill-style, this will sound at once familiar and brand new. More than that, though, it sounds fun. CT linchpin Mr. Magic's "Earth Break" is a terrific party cut, while his collaboration with the Positive Choice Band, "2001 Kazoos," is a certifiable roller-rink banger. Throw on your bell-bottom Lee suit and give CT its due, y'all. And enjoy yourself while you're at it.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
XLR8R Downloads Player