Various Artists Tommie Sunshine Presents Ultra.Rock Remixed
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Ultra
- XLR8R Rating: 1/10
Here indie-dance DJ sensation Tommie Sunshine remixes 'alternative beats' by stapling generic, banging rhythms to alternative-rock hits of the moment-techno for the teen-recreation-center set. That method has been money in the bank for too many DJs and it lured many children into the devil's den of prog-trance. Sunshine grounds his mix in a post-electroclash way, as his "Brooklyn Fire" remixes subject the likes of Good Charlotte, P.O.D., and Fall Out Boy to grinding acid synths and sports-bar ambience. Aside from a few funky reworkings of Peaches and VHS or Beta, most of these "retouches" are faceless and monotonous. Oh, and his neutering of Gang of Four's "At Home He's a Tourist" is just evil.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player