Various Artists The Topography of Chance
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: Sonic Arts Network
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
In homage to the Fluxus artist Emmet Williams' book, An Anecdoted Topography of Chance, British curator Stewart Lee handpicked these fine, cross-genre gems to highlight works that might represent chance operations (a favorite of John Cage's). What results is a beautifully packaged book and CD full of maps and off-the-wall sounds from weird Americana (The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players and pscyh folkie Rodd Keith) to Derek Bailey's avant take on the British folk tradition. The highlight, though, is The Fall's Mark E. Smith reading football scores recorded from BBC Sport last year. So where's Jandek and Richard Youngs?
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
XLR8R Downloads Player