Various Artists The Topography of Chance
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: Sonic Arts Network
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
In homage to the Fluxus artist Emmet Williams' book, An Anecdoted Topography of Chance, British curator Stewart Lee handpicked these fine, cross-genre gems to highlight works that might represent chance operations (a favorite of John Cage's). What results is a beautifully packaged book and CD full of maps and off-the-wall sounds from weird Americana (The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players and pscyh folkie Rodd Keith) to Derek Bailey's avant take on the British folk tradition. The highlight, though, is The Fall's Mark E. Smith reading football scores recorded from BBC Sport last year. So where's Jandek and Richard Youngs?
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsSimian Mobile Disco Shares Second Single from 'Whorl'
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player