Various Artists Transatlantic Bass: The Mutated Sound Of American Breakbeat & Garage
- Words: Christine Hsieh
- Label: Urban Renewal
Tough, heavy and deep-apparently, this is what makes breakbeat and garage distinctly American. Forget the fluffy, poppy two-step from the UK-this first release from the Urban Renewal label gathers only the dark stuff from around the country (and one from our friendly neighbors up north), the stuff more influenced by the likes of gritty acts like Zed Bias and Stanton Warriors than pop-garage wannabes Trusteppers featuring Victoria Beckham. All densely packed layers of bass, complicated breaks and sharp snares, Transatlantic Bass is nicely mixed by DJ Cooper, who maintains the album's raw, gritty feel throughout.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
XLR8R Downloads Player