Various Artists Uprising
- Words: James Friedman
- Label: Dope Amm
From the looks of things, drum & bass is enjoying something of a resurgence. Crews like New York's Mathematics have injected what looked to be a stagnant genre with healthy doses of house-inflected melody and sexiness. However, the sound remains a hotbed of formulaic production and clichéd composition. Dope Ammo Records' latest compilation is a prime example. It features track after track that removes any shred of innovation from jungle's poppier permutations by grafting them onto simplistic drum loops and irritating filter squelches. To be fair, avid fans of the funked-up and discofied sounds of Shy FX or Defunked label releases will like this comp-it has those same influences, albiet with the harder beat textures of producers like Hazzard to give it edge. But overall, despite the running beats and b-lines aplenty, Uprising offers little in the way of innovation.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player