Various Artists Wavetec One: The Miles From Mars Mix
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: WaveTec
This mix by Rob Rives of Floppy Sounds is serious business. Darker, techier and more single-minded than standard Wave fare, the inaugural release on their WaveTec imprint focuses solely on the groove. The relentless drums and metronome basslines get a bit numbing on tracks like Phantom Power's "Panawave 2" and the D'Malicious's progressively predictable "Loup-Garou," but Rives saves the day by injecting just a touch of funk from Matty Heilbronn and Boyd Jarvis. The final cut, Carl Craig's remix of Rives's own "Entertainment," shows the rich possibilities inherent in these sounds-sadly, many of the other songs don't measure up.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player