Various Artists Wavetec One: The Miles From Mars Mix
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: WaveTec
This mix by Rob Rives of Floppy Sounds is serious business. Darker, techier and more single-minded than standard Wave fare, the inaugural release on their WaveTec imprint focuses solely on the groove. The relentless drums and metronome basslines get a bit numbing on tracks like Phantom Power's "Panawave 2" and the D'Malicious's progressively predictable "Loup-Garou," but Rives saves the day by injecting just a touch of funk from Matty Heilbronn and Boyd Jarvis. The final cut, Carl Craig's remix of Rives's own "Entertainment," shows the rich possibilities inherent in these sounds-sadly, many of the other songs don't measure up.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player