Various Artists What's Happening in Pernambuco
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Luaka Bop
If you're as musically adventurous as you claim, you'll love this comp of off-the-beaten-track Brazilian music from a little-known region somewhat removed from the Sao Paolo/Rio route. Traditional-styled songs mutate before your ears into vocoderized hip-hop bass drops; bossa nova scratch-fests and punky samba throwdowns abound, as well as all the super-duper syncopated percussion you'd expect from South America. This ain't your parents' Tropicàlia or your basic Brazil jazz album. Yet for all its electric, youthful intensity, a mellow, soulful flavor rolls through this inspired collection.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player