Various Artists What's Happening in Pernambuco
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Luaka Bop
If you're as musically adventurous as you claim, you'll love this comp of off-the-beaten-track Brazilian music from a little-known region somewhat removed from the Sao Paolo/Rio route. Traditional-styled songs mutate before your ears into vocoderized hip-hop bass drops; bossa nova scratch-fests and punky samba throwdowns abound, as well as all the super-duper syncopated percussion you'd expect from South America. This ain't your parents' Tropicàlia or your basic Brazil jazz album. Yet for all its electric, youthful intensity, a mellow, soulful flavor rolls through this inspired collection.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player