Various Artists Wheedle's Groove
- Words: Nick Follett
- Label: Light In The Attic
From the city that begat Quincy Jones, Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles comes a collection of funk and soul sure to put Oyster Shoals on the map. The ghost of Brother Ray can be felt in the themes of "Brighter Tomorrow," as can the crafted funk of Kool and the Gang in Broham's "Nothing In Common" and the dirty soul of Stax with Cookin' Bag's "This Is Me." The intensity of the performances, with ultra-heavy drumming and often percussive piano, compliments the subtlety and strength of the songwriting and lyrics of hope and optimism. The choice of covers is not surprising ("Hey Jude," "Cissy Strut"), but the versions are anything but ordinary. Funkier than Johnny Damon's swing.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player