Various Artists ZZK Sound, Vol.2
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Nacional
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Over the past two years, Buenos Aires-based collective Zizek has checked a few items off the to-do list. Promoted experimental cumbia into a dance-music watchword? Check. Taken its DJs and artists to the world’s biggest clubs and festivals? Check. And now, with its second genre-defining stable showcase, ZZK Records proves that the mash-up of cumbia, reggaeton, and baile funk isn’t just a trend, but a worldwide art form. Alongside a host of new Argentine artists, Vol. 2 includes Barcelona’s Meneo on the sublimely dark “La Licuadora,” Montreal’s Ghislain Poirier remixing Fauna to brilliant effect, and Californian Oro11’s ultra-heavy cumbia “Macumbiabass.” Even ZZK staple Douster checks in globally, remixing Chile’s Zonora Point to make “Huachita Rita” one of the anthems of the summer.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player