Various Artists ZZK Sound, Vol.2
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Nacional
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Over the past two years, Buenos Aires-based collective Zizek has checked a few items off the to-do list. Promoted experimental cumbia into a dance-music watchword? Check. Taken its DJs and artists to the world’s biggest clubs and festivals? Check. And now, with its second genre-defining stable showcase, ZZK Records proves that the mash-up of cumbia, reggaeton, and baile funk isn’t just a trend, but a worldwide art form. Alongside a host of new Argentine artists, Vol. 2 includes Barcelona’s Meneo on the sublimely dark “La Licuadora,” Montreal’s Ghislain Poirier remixing Fauna to brilliant effect, and Californian Oro11’s ultra-heavy cumbia “Macumbiabass.” Even ZZK staple Douster checks in globally, remixing Chile’s Zonora Point to make “Huachita Rita” one of the anthems of the summer.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
XLR8R Downloads Player