Various Production Versus
- Words: Brandon Ivers
- Label: Various Production
Trolling along the outskirts of dubstep and grime since 2003, Various Production is about as close to a modern-day Omni Trio as anyone else is gonna get. It’s not just the jazzy influences, big vocals, and careful distancing from the track-a-week producer grind, either–like Rob Haigh, the Various Production guys are older, wiser, and a little more talented than your average FruityLoops jock. As such, Various pulls some nice tricks on remixes like Foals’ “Red Sox,” which re-imagines the former math rockers into an odd hybrid of Bloc Party, Burial, and The Cure. And since this is also a versus album, young bloods like Zomby turn in fantastically drastic reworks, like giving Various’ own “Haters,” a dose of bizarre 8-bit bounce.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player