Various Production Versus
- Words: Brandon Ivers
- Label: Various Production
Trolling along the outskirts of dubstep and grime since 2003, Various Production is about as close to a modern-day Omni Trio as anyone else is gonna get. It’s not just the jazzy influences, big vocals, and careful distancing from the track-a-week producer grind, either–like Rob Haigh, the Various Production guys are older, wiser, and a little more talented than your average FruityLoops jock. As such, Various pulls some nice tricks on remixes like Foals’ “Red Sox,” which re-imagines the former math rockers into an odd hybrid of Bloc Party, Burial, and The Cure. And since this is also a versus album, young bloods like Zomby turn in fantastically drastic reworks, like giving Various’ own “Haters,” a dose of bizarre 8-bit bounce.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player