Various Production Versus
- Words: Brandon Ivers
- Label: Various Production
Trolling along the outskirts of dubstep and grime since 2003, Various Production is about as close to a modern-day Omni Trio as anyone else is gonna get. It’s not just the jazzy influences, big vocals, and careful distancing from the track-a-week producer grind, either–like Rob Haigh, the Various Production guys are older, wiser, and a little more talented than your average FruityLoops jock. As such, Various pulls some nice tricks on remixes like Foals’ “Red Sox,” which re-imagines the former math rockers into an odd hybrid of Bloc Party, Burial, and The Cure. And since this is also a versus album, young bloods like Zomby turn in fantastically drastic reworks, like giving Various’ own “Haters,” a dose of bizarre 8-bit bounce.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player