Various Achtung! German Grooves
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Bureau B
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to imagine that the culture that brought you expressionism could really get funky. But listen to the Volkswagen-chase grooves and Wagnerian wah-wah on Achtung!’s 20 instrumentals from the ’60s and ’70s, and things might fall into place. This isn’t “the good foot”; these are jazz big bands taking on the new breed with the same Teutonic experimental formalism that brought us Kraftwerk. The flutes and break beats of sample-ready ’60s library funk are all there. But so are the Argento-soundtrack synths, the insect-like guitars, and a backwards cover of “House of the Rising Sun.” Like Fritz Lang directing Austin Powers: odd, but you’ll love it.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player