Various Achtung! German Grooves
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Bureau B
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to imagine that the culture that brought you expressionism could really get funky. But listen to the Volkswagen-chase grooves and Wagnerian wah-wah on Achtung!’s 20 instrumentals from the ’60s and ’70s, and things might fall into place. This isn’t “the good foot”; these are jazz big bands taking on the new breed with the same Teutonic experimental formalism that brought us Kraftwerk. The flutes and break beats of sample-ready ’60s library funk are all there. But so are the Argento-soundtrack synths, the insect-like guitars, and a backwards cover of “House of the Rising Sun.” Like Fritz Lang directing Austin Powers: odd, but you’ll love it.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player