Various Achtung! German Grooves
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Bureau B
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to imagine that the culture that brought you expressionism could really get funky. But listen to the Volkswagen-chase grooves and Wagnerian wah-wah on Achtung!’s 20 instrumentals from the ’60s and ’70s, and things might fall into place. This isn’t “the good foot”; these are jazz big bands taking on the new breed with the same Teutonic experimental formalism that brought us Kraftwerk. The flutes and break beats of sample-ready ’60s library funk are all there. But so are the Argento-soundtrack synths, the insect-like guitars, and a backwards cover of “House of the Rising Sun.” Like Fritz Lang directing Austin Powers: odd, but you’ll love it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player