Various Afrique C'est Chic
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: Slip 'N' Slide
Afro house at times offers little in terms of inventiveness, as artists trot out respectfully 4/4-ed-up tributes to Afrobeat deity Fela Kuti. However, this compilation offers a whole kaleidoscope of Afro-touched compositions. Alton Miller's re-rub of Jacob Desvarieux's "An Die Adie" is a sublimely deep offering that solders together spiritually aware Detroit beats with emotion-gripped strings. Dennis Ferrer's "Funu" is a bouncy, joyful track that fuses cultures and sounds together with the help of bright guitar and soul-searching organ keys. Despite the inclusion of a few cuts whose Afro influences aren't immediately obvious, Afrique C'est Chic is a quality offering.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player