Various Afrique C'est Chic
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: Slip 'N' Slide
Afro house at times offers little in terms of inventiveness, as artists trot out respectfully 4/4-ed-up tributes to Afrobeat deity Fela Kuti. However, this compilation offers a whole kaleidoscope of Afro-touched compositions. Alton Miller's re-rub of Jacob Desvarieux's "An Die Adie" is a sublimely deep offering that solders together spiritually aware Detroit beats with emotion-gripped strings. Dennis Ferrer's "Funu" is a bouncy, joyful track that fuses cultures and sounds together with the help of bright guitar and soul-searching organ keys. Despite the inclusion of a few cuts whose Afro influences aren't immediately obvious, Afrique C'est Chic is a quality offering.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player