Various Andrew Emil presents Four Play Music
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Forever Soul-EsNtion
DJ/producer Andrew Emil wears Chicago's influence proudly on this disc, a mix of tracks from Emil's four play label. The house is heavy on the beats and light on the vocals, with moments of genuinely tight groove. But while the tracks are well done, the first half could benefit from more variety and sharper pacing. The mixing, as well, might use a bit of subtlety. A few tracks stand out-like Emil's "CTF (Nick Santillan Dub)," with its warm, dubby female vocal, and the bouncy, bass-happy "Rockument" by Pat Nice and JRod-but overall the compilation needs more range.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player