Various Basic Replay
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Basic Replay
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Basic Replay has already re-issued most of the cuts here, originally recorded years or decades ago. But this compilation not only puts these tracks on CD (for the first time, in most cases), it also gives a nice cross-section of the label’s efforts. The breadth includes everything from the echo-y dub splendor of King Culture’s “Nice Up the Session Version” to Courtney Melody’s fantastic dancehall vocals on “Black Liberation.” Ackie opens the disc with the gunshot-laced “Call Me Rambo,” and Prince Jazzbo closes with “Replay Version,” a bone-deep groove for all its electronic eeriness. The album’s range means it sometimes sounds a little scattershot, but the tracks are so good that the collection almost always hits the mark anyway.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player