Various Belly of the Whale
- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: Important
While Belly of the Whale provides some interesting manipulations and solid programming from the likes of Kim Cascone, Scanner, and Yannick Dauby, too much of the content either employs its exotic, spiny lobster- and orca samples as a pointless backdrop, or passes off overindulgent, Ableton-esque effects as calculated sonic expression. All conceptual wankery and Greenpeace propaganda aside, Merzbow's contribution, which sounds like the cast of Finding Nemo being pureed in a cocktail blender, definitely brings some much needed balance to the album. Two chin-strokes and it's over.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player