Various A Blow To the State
- Words: James Friedman
- Label: Coup D'Etat
An indie hip-hop label obsessed with the politics of the business-what could be more tired? Though its obsession with record industry shadiness borders on the pathological, Coup D'Etat's stable of artists, including J-Live, Rasco, Fakts One and Akrobatik, has the skills and imagination to transcend the simplicity of this compilation's raison d'etre. For example, Rasco dispenses with the generalized money anxieties and mistrust that have become two of hip-hop's most obvious and annoying themes, instead using "Snakes In The Grass" to not only describe his mistreatment while signed to Copasetic Records, but to name names, calling out label head Jon Sexton and threatening him with violence. Now, that's like whoa.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player