Various The Blue Series Sampler: The Shape Of Jazz To Come
- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Thirsty Ear
Musical purists take note: if your idea of what constitutes jazz ends with the work of John Coltrane and Miles Davis, stop reading now. This collection is an unconventional one, to say the least. Violins, samplers and even (gasp!) turntables are all tangentially linked under the hierarchy of jazz, with new-school acts like pianist Matthew Shipp and bassist David S. Ware sharing equal space with Def Jux MC El-P and Anti-pop Consortium. Skronks, scratches and squiggles of noise abound; this is hardly the cool jazz of Blue Note's peak, but something more closely aligned with the cosmic chaos of Sun Ra's Saturn Records imprint.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player