Various Caravan of Light
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Lua
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Supporting the idea that art is the greatest armament against war, this CD of Persian- and Asian-inspired music accompanies a short political film of the same name. The songs, ranging from well-circulated tracks to newer cuts, assemble like-minded freedom fighters. An old Bassnectar remix of Michael Franti’s “Skin on the Drum” and an excellent track by Iranian vocalist Sussan Deyhim are familiar, while recent work by Haale and Mercan Dede and Azam Ali make great introductions. The sequencing is top-notch, making the compilation a down- to mid-tempo journey through a talented array of santurs, neys, and beats.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player