Various Cinematic: Classic Film Music Remixed
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Six Degrees
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Considering the historical significance of the film scores revisited on this compilation, it’s impossible to not be skeptical of this project. Although upon further inspection, one can see that most of these decades-old soundtrack classics are not necessarily beyond amendment… or at least a little modernization. Organizer Bob Duskis of Six Degrees Records cautiously selected remixers who weren’t going to haphazardly rework these groundbreaking instrumentals. Respect is particularly due to the Bombay Dub Orchestra for its take on the “Love Theme from Ben Hur.” This stirring sitar-and-string-driven composition could easily be a work of its own, yet the original foundation remains recognizable. Other standouts include Bent’s ethereal remix of Fellini’s Roma soundtrack and King Britt’s bouncy hip-hop take, “They Call Me Mr. Tibbs Main Title.” While it helps to be familiar with the original scores that inspired this disc, listeners won’t be lost without the history.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
XLR8R Downloads Player