Various Cocoon Compilation G
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Cocoon
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The seventh installment in this unmixed compilation series from Sven Väth’s mammoth Frankfurt-based club’s in-house label is its strongest yet. Aimed squarely at the dancefloor, nearly all of G’s tracks deliver peak-time 4/4 techno builders, most with subtle trance overtones and distinct styles. Deep, murky snares in Stephan Bodzin’s dark dancefloor beauty “Triebsand” loosen up into soaring overtones of Frankfurt trance, while MyMy’s electrifying opener, “Fast Freeze,” glides easily into elegant, big-room tech-house. The unmixed style of this series is not only ideal for DJs, but also offers a nod to Väth’s early days as DJ, where he famously preferred letting one track simply fade into the next.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
XLR8R Downloads Player