Various Cocoon Compilation G
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Cocoon
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The seventh installment in this unmixed compilation series from Sven Väth’s mammoth Frankfurt-based club’s in-house label is its strongest yet. Aimed squarely at the dancefloor, nearly all of G’s tracks deliver peak-time 4/4 techno builders, most with subtle trance overtones and distinct styles. Deep, murky snares in Stephan Bodzin’s dark dancefloor beauty “Triebsand” loosen up into soaring overtones of Frankfurt trance, while MyMy’s electrifying opener, “Fast Freeze,” glides easily into elegant, big-room tech-house. The unmixed style of this series is not only ideal for DJs, but also offers a nod to Väth’s early days as DJ, where he famously preferred letting one track simply fade into the next.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player