Various Cocoon Compilation G
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Cocoon
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
The seventh installment in this unmixed compilation series from Sven Väth’s mammoth Frankfurt-based club’s in-house label is its strongest yet. Aimed squarely at the dancefloor, nearly all of G’s tracks deliver peak-time 4/4 techno builders, most with subtle trance overtones and distinct styles. Deep, murky snares in Stephan Bodzin’s dark dancefloor beauty “Triebsand” loosen up into soaring overtones of Frankfurt trance, while MyMy’s electrifying opener, “Fast Freeze,” glides easily into elegant, big-room tech-house. The unmixed style of this series is not only ideal for DJs, but also offers a nod to Väth’s early days as DJ, where he famously preferred letting one track simply fade into the next.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player