Various Death Before Distemper 2: Revenge of the Iron Ferret
To speak of DC Recordings merely in dancefloor terms is to miss the mark. On the U.K. label’s second compilation, paranoid-disco provocateurs Padded Cell and The Emperor Machine step out of the limelight, allowing a fascinating amalgamation of genres to surface from new talent. From the pummeling psych of Booze’s “Insanity Drive” to patient and droney Kraut rhythms of Muscleheads and The Oscillation, the offerings here are consistently gnarled and heavy. The biggest successes come on Bot’ox’s “The Crash Theme” and Kelpe’s “Shipwreck Glue.” These tracks strive for something fervent, affecting, and epic, and when they succeed, they’re enthralling.
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- NewsListen to a New Mix from Lucrecia Dalt
XLR8R Downloads Player