Various DJ Yoda: Fabriclive 39
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Fabric
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Shoving opposites like Ice Cube, Minnie Riperton, Violent Femmes, and Bell Biv Devoe into the same room spells out potential carnage. Yet, London’s DJ Yoda makes peace and he even warms the heart. Early on, Yoda scratches up the dum-dum, dum-dum beats on the Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun” and later runs through a keen, circa-1991 junior-high dance mix of BBD, Run DMC, and Salt-n-Pepa. There’s also a marching-band rendition of “Sexual Healing” and a sharp grime/dubstep clash courtesy of Wiley and Skream. But the charmer is the sing-along finale of Lord Kitchener’s classic calypso ode to West Indian immigrants, “London Is the Place for Me.”
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player