Various From Dubplate to Download: The Best of Greensleeves Records
- Words: David Katz
- Label: Greensleeves
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
For the last 30 years, Greensleeves has been issuing a steady supply of modern Jamaican music, being one of the leading labels devoted to its dissemination. Although this London-based company began issuing roots music in the late 1970s, the futuristic sound of upfront dancehall became their primary focus, as profiled on this double-disc set. Disc One is nearly flawless, with wonderful works from the Wailing Souls, Doctor Alimantado, Frankie Paul, Cocoa Tea, and Wayne Smith, and although Disc Two becomes increasingly commercial through hits by Shaggy, Mr Vegas, and Elephant Man, the music has a typically high standard; composed of their biggest-selling releases, there are few surprises here, though the music itself remains eminently listenable.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player