Various Favourite Places
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Audiobulb
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
As the title suggests, 10 abstract electronic artists invite listeners to get lost in their favorite places. Field recordings of these places are followed by musical invocations of them. Dot Tape Dot scrubs himself in his tub, John Kannenberg transforms the British Museum into a cathedral through which thousands of ghosts pass, and Biosphere loops a half-asleep jazz ballad from lighthouse sounds. Some cheat by claiming their studios as their favorite places, and many here perform introspective works that ignore listeners. Still, there ought be more experiments like Favourite Places, at a time when rootlessness and alienation from the outside world prevail.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsHear Seven Davis Jr Remix Martyn
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player