Various Favourite Places
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Audiobulb
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
As the title suggests, 10 abstract electronic artists invite listeners to get lost in their favorite places. Field recordings of these places are followed by musical invocations of them. Dot Tape Dot scrubs himself in his tub, John Kannenberg transforms the British Museum into a cathedral through which thousands of ghosts pass, and Biosphere loops a half-asleep jazz ballad from lighthouse sounds. Some cheat by claiming their studios as their favorite places, and many here perform introspective works that ignore listeners. Still, there ought be more experiments like Favourite Places, at a time when rootlessness and alienation from the outside world prevail.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player