Various Festival In the Desert
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: World Village
Simple, raw and repetitive in the best way, Festival in the Desert is about rhythmic repetition far removed from anything electronic. From hypnotic female vocal ticks to guitar throb deeply set in an African desert, the compilation is about translating the intense openness of the desert into music. Malian legend Ali Farka Toure and a range of other Malian and Mauritanian musicians bring their own guitar-laden traditions, and even Robert Plant-who somehow feels like a Western spokesman-makes a marvelous journey into eerie, bluesy emptiness. Sparse and compelling, this compilation thoroughly entertains through its spirit of simplicity.
- MP3GL "Won't You See (Gerd Janson Dub Mix)"
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- NewsLeon Vynehall Shares Mesmerizing New Video, Announces North American Tour
- NewsGhostly Artists Soundtrack Upcoming Videogame; Hear New Tracks from Shigeto, Matthew Dear, and More
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player