Various Festival In the Desert
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: World Village
Simple, raw and repetitive in the best way, Festival in the Desert is about rhythmic repetition far removed from anything electronic. From hypnotic female vocal ticks to guitar throb deeply set in an African desert, the compilation is about translating the intense openness of the desert into music. Malian legend Ali Farka Toure and a range of other Malian and Mauritanian musicians bring their own guitar-laden traditions, and even Robert Plant-who somehow feels like a Western spokesman-makes a marvelous journey into eerie, bluesy emptiness. Sparse and compelling, this compilation thoroughly entertains through its spirit of simplicity.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player