Various Festival In the Desert
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: World Village
Simple, raw and repetitive in the best way, Festival in the Desert is about rhythmic repetition far removed from anything electronic. From hypnotic female vocal ticks to guitar throb deeply set in an African desert, the compilation is about translating the intense openness of the desert into music. Malian legend Ali Farka Toure and a range of other Malian and Mauritanian musicians bring their own guitar-laden traditions, and even Robert Plant-who somehow feels like a Western spokesman-makes a marvelous journey into eerie, bluesy emptiness. Sparse and compelling, this compilation thoroughly entertains through its spirit of simplicity.
- GearThis Week in Music Tech: Mike Huckaby's Ableton Masterclass, In the Studio with Gregor Tresher and Ziro, and More
- NewsPaul Johnson, Jerome LOL, Untold, The Gaslamp Killer, and More Added to Together 2014
- MP3Alcides "Violeta (El Remolón Remix)"
- MP3Arp "White Light"
- MP3Copywrite "Forever and a Day"
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player