Various Kitsuné Maison 4
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Kitsuné
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Kitsuné’s fourth Maison comp offers up 13 samples of what the Paris fashionista label has to offer the indie-dance kids it not-so-slyly hooked with Klaxons. Techno purists are still going to loathe it, but Kitsuné Maison 4 veers nicely from indie- land; granted, Air spin-off Darkel’s take on Air’s “Be My Friend” is about as interesting as the flat, Air-covering-Air original. But beyond that, the comp’s a grand ride. The foaming-at-the-mouth club anthem “Tuning In,” from Leeds’ grime/”new rave” lovechildren Hadouken!, nearly overpowers everything, but sleeper gems like Crystal Castles’ 8-bit flood “Knights” and Midnight Juggernauts’ stuttering, glitch-fucked remix of Dragonette’s “I Get Around” shine through. Excellent overall–electronic dogmatists be damned.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player