Various Kitsuné Maison 4
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Kitsuné
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Kitsuné’s fourth Maison comp offers up 13 samples of what the Paris fashionista label has to offer the indie-dance kids it not-so-slyly hooked with Klaxons. Techno purists are still going to loathe it, but Kitsuné Maison 4 veers nicely from indie- land; granted, Air spin-off Darkel’s take on Air’s “Be My Friend” is about as interesting as the flat, Air-covering-Air original. But beyond that, the comp’s a grand ride. The foaming-at-the-mouth club anthem “Tuning In,” from Leeds’ grime/”new rave” lovechildren Hadouken!, nearly overpowers everything, but sleeper gems like Crystal Castles’ 8-bit flood “Knights” and Midnight Juggernauts’ stuttering, glitch-fucked remix of Dragonette’s “I Get Around” shine through. Excellent overall–electronic dogmatists be damned.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
XLR8R Downloads Player