Various Lion Vs. Dragon in Dub
- Words: David Katz
- Label: Trojan
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Illustrator/journalist Edwin Pouncey (a.k.a. Savage Pencil) has long been inspired by the sounds of dub; indeed, dub’s otherworldly sensibility filters through his graphic work. On this cryptically named compilation, Pouncey pulls together choice deejay cuts from U-Roy, Prince Jazzbo, Ranking Joe, and Jah Whoosh, two niyabinghi numbers by Ras Michael (in the guise of Dadawah), and a boatload of mind-bending dubs, courtesy of King Tubby, Lee Perry, and Augustus Pablo. It’s a compelling set that never lets the tension drop for a moment, despite the inclusion of dub fakery in the form of “Pablo in Black Ark” (which is still a killer despite not featuring Pablo and not being recorded at the Ark).
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player