Various Moods: You, the Night, and the Music
- Words: Velanche
- Label: Backdrop
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With the obscene amount of crappy chill-out compilations destined for cutout bins, one wonders what the Backdrop label, a new imprint of Germany’s ObliqSound, can do to affect the tide. Moods isn’t going to break new ground, but it’s far from being a caricature of its bastard cousins. Craig Roseberry (a.k.a. DJ Shifty) has selected an international roster of talent that trades in a variety of feelings, styles, and interpretations of chic. Some tracks, like Stateless' “Bloodstream,” veer a tad too close to synth-pop; others, like Atjazz’s bloopy remix of Grand Pianoramax’s “Freestyle Figures,” are delightfully unique. It’s a mixed bag, but promising nonetheless.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player