Various Moods: You, the Night, and the Music
- Words: Velanche
- Label: Backdrop
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With the obscene amount of crappy chill-out compilations destined for cutout bins, one wonders what the Backdrop label, a new imprint of Germany’s ObliqSound, can do to affect the tide. Moods isn’t going to break new ground, but it’s far from being a caricature of its bastard cousins. Craig Roseberry (a.k.a. DJ Shifty) has selected an international roster of talent that trades in a variety of feelings, styles, and interpretations of chic. Some tracks, like Stateless' “Bloodstream,” veer a tad too close to synth-pop; others, like Atjazz’s bloopy remix of Grand Pianoramax’s “Freestyle Figures,” are delightfully unique. It’s a mixed bag, but promising nonetheless.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player