Various Nicola Conte Presents Viagem
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Far Out
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to overstate the importance of music to Brazilian life and culture, including plenty of indigenous genres that haven’t traveled to the larger world much (axé, forró, etc). But bossa nova did make it outside–so much so that songs like “The Girl from Ipanema” are now considered Western standards. This comp, though, features lesser-known cuts (i.e., mostly stuff not by pioneer Antonio Carlos Jobim) that show off bossa’s close kinship to American jazz. Sax legend Sonny Rollins, for example, wrote the uptempo “Samba em Blue,” here performed by Sansa Trio, and Tenório Jr.’s piano work on “Nebulosa” has echoes of Oscar Peterson. Mellow, sweet, and swinging, this is bossa like a feather in the air.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player