Various One Five Zero
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: n5MD
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
IDM is still alive and figuring itself out, despite those three scarlet letters braving critics’ stones. Emotion seems to be the next frontier for the faithful. Oakland’s n5MD label has spent the past five years exploring IDM’s melancholic side, and ballads are the order of the day for this milestone comp of n5MD regulars. Bitcrush and Last Days achieve a sublime balance between ambient sleepwalking and hazy post-rock. At worst, maudlin sentiment hinders a few tracks. Arc Lab’s cover of the Tori Amos number “Cornflake Girl” suffers from uneven mixing and operatic melodrama that prods the listener to shed a tear. Emo-IDM? Now that’s a genre I fear.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player