Various Reggae Gold 2003
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: VP-Atlantic
Killer sequencing turns what could have been just a collection of current dancehall singles into a cohesive document. Take the 1-2 punch of "Hey Sexy Lady," with Shaggy and Brian & Tony Gold, and "Get Busy," Sean Paul's inescapable crossover hit, which segue together smoother than rum and coconut. Likewise, Tanya Stephens's "It's A Pity" and Morgan Heritage's "She's Still Loving Me" provide ironic contrast, relating the point of view of both the "other woman" and the guilt-ridden married man. Other notable observations: Bobby Digital and Tony Kelly are absolutely robotic when it comes to pumping out wicked riddims; even remixes with aging hip-hop superstars Busta Rhymes and LL Cool J can't derail Sean-a-P. and Wayne Wonder's star trains. Good news for all raggamuffins.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player