Various Rio Baile Funk: More Favela Booty Beats
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Essay
Baile funk's gritty ghetto beats and repetitive fútbol chants are almost futuristic in their stripped primitivism, and perfect fodder for a worldwide club audience begging for something less subtle, less commercialized, more punch-to-the-face direct in its delivery. Tracks like Voltair‘s grimy "Cleck Cleck Boom" and the glitchy Bonde do Role mix of Edu K's "Hot Mama" show baile to be expanding its horizons under the world‘s spotlight, while retaining that down-low directness, making More Favela Booty Beats not just "more" but "must-have" for the favela funk enthusiast.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player