Various Round Black Ghosts
Round Black Ghosts is a solid primer for dubstep’s post-techno side, as seen through the lens of Berlin label ~scape.Elemental’s “Raw Material” best captures that sound where irate, acid synth lines run into faint, dubby guitar riffs. Pinch’s digital knick-knacks stalk the listener on the eerie “136 Trek,” while Pole’s dubstep experiment, “Alles Klar,” waits ominously just around the corner–however, its hiccuping rhythm tends to go nowhere. Those looking to follow dubstep’s bloodline to Berlin digital-dub can dissect 2562’s “Channel Two” where the Dutch producer smudges gaseous synth riffs and room-rattling bass across a jittery South London rhythm. Maybe safest to just let dubstep stay in the lab.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player