Various Shapes One
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: Tru Thoughts
This collection of wide-ranging masterpieces from Tru Thoughts once again illustrates their flair for signing unfamiliar musical talent. Alongside cuts from well-established talent in the world of lazy grooves and restless beats, this compilation showcases future stars. Kuzu's "Restless" uses soft footstep-type percussion and questioning strings to create an air of indecision, which doesn't aid vocalist Rachel Potter as she struggles to understand her feelings. Dubble D contributes "Slo," a contemplative cut with introspective strings, brooding brass and distressed vocals. Shapes conforms to Tru Thoughts's ideal of releasing music defined by its quality, not by its tempo or style.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player