Various Studio One Dub Vol. 2
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Soul Jazz
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Soul Jazz unearths a new bag of lost, rare, and essential dub gems from Jamaican cornerstone label Studio One, known for its melodious, time-honored riddims. With vocals cast aside and mixing-board nuances revealed, opener “I’ll Be Around” (Sound Dimension’s 1971 take on The Spinners’ hit) encapsulates these instrumentals’ understated, soulful beauty. Studio One Dub Vol. 2 offers a vibrant survey of reggae’s transition from rocksteady to roots. We hear The Heptones’ joyfully swaying “Ting-A-Ling” next to Brentford Reggae Band’s driving, steppers-style “Moses Version,” while “Peace Version"'s swirling horn echoes sit nicely beside Dub Specialist’s “Dar es Salaam” (later re-licked as Michigan & Smiley’s ’80s rub-a-dub classic “Diseases”). Vol. 2 is a fresh taste of timeless music.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- MP3Juan Ramos "The Mariner"
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player