Various Total 8
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Kompakt
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Capping a successful year that saw crossover success for Gui Boratto and The Field, Kompakt issues its annual compendium Total, the eighth in the series. Like before, we're given a best-of-year disc and one of unreleased songs, and choice cuts reside on both. High-profile collaborative tracks from Burger/Voigt (the reunited Burger/Ink) and SuperMayer both offer nuanced, contemplative techno, but aren't the album's finest moments. The crashing percussive notes of Partial Arts' "Trauermusik," and the Rice Twins' monument to shoegaze entitled "Can I Say" provide the true highlights, displaying the extensive reach of a label often unfairly dubbed a one-trick pony. Perhaps not the best Total, but there's still a lot to love here.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player