Various We Are Punks 2
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Datapunk
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
Something about this title really irks me: What is “punk” about Anthony Rother’s label mix? Is it the constipated blasts of distorted synth grinds that interrupt the groove? The neutered calls-to-arms like “This is iconic warfare”? Considering punk’s long-co-opted dogma, I suppose it doesn’t take much to think of oneself as “punk.” Datapunk boss Rother shows off his own work alongside fellow Moroder/EBM/industrial heads like Gregor Tresher, Billy Nasty, and the much-welcomed Miss Kittin and the Hacker. There’s no denying that Rother maintains good dread over rib-hitting beats, but the energy runs dry with its electroclash clichés and unintentional camp. Steer clear of this while sober.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player