Various We Are Punks 2
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Datapunk
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
Something about this title really irks me: What is “punk” about Anthony Rother’s label mix? Is it the constipated blasts of distorted synth grinds that interrupt the groove? The neutered calls-to-arms like “This is iconic warfare”? Considering punk’s long-co-opted dogma, I suppose it doesn’t take much to think of oneself as “punk.” Datapunk boss Rother shows off his own work alongside fellow Moroder/EBM/industrial heads like Gregor Tresher, Billy Nasty, and the much-welcomed Miss Kittin and the Hacker. There’s no denying that Rother maintains good dread over rib-hitting beats, but the energy runs dry with its electroclash clichés and unintentional camp. Steer clear of this while sober.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player