Vast Aire & DJ Mighty Mi The Best Damn Rap Show
- Words: Julianne Shepherd
- Label: Eastern Conference
The opening lyric: "We shoot from the hip and you scatter like roaches when the lightbulb‘s lit." Vast Aire‘s good at clever, proverb-like punchlines and almost-Buddhist simple one-liners. Nor does he short shrift the dis on The Best Damn Rap Show (his second solo album since Cannibal Ox), where DJ Mighty Mi of High & Mighty does the beats in a classic breaks style. Absent from Aire‘s last album was his great storytelling ability-it returns here. "The Workover," for instance, takes verbal revenge for about the last 100 years of American racism, and the racist/ capitalist hijacking of black music styles from jazz to rap: "We‘ve been struggling for too long/ you can change the year but I‘ll still sing the same song."
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player