Vedomir Marcel Dettmann Remixes
There was a time when the suggestion of Marcel Dettmann remixing Mikhaylo Vityk (better known as Vakula, or Vedomir) sounded about as a odd as, say, Surgeon remixing Theo Parrish, but here we are. As much as the ultra-prolific Ukrainian producer has made his name on disjointed, soul-sampling house, he has lately been making moderate strides into the straightforward techno arena. There's hardly a better label to marry him with the Berghain mainstay than Amsterdam's Dekmantel, which has an established reputation for diverse offerings. The two tracks on the outpost's latest 12" appeared in their original forms on Vedomir's self-titled album from last year, and are subjected to Dettmann's reliably deft touch this time around.
Dettmann's reputation has long been that of a brutal, funkless sort of DJ/producer. When taking into account both of his new remixes—as well as the current wave of crusty, industrial techno—however, the notion begins to seem unfounded. These re-imaginings cut straight to the point, sure, but they do so with a great deal of precision. "Music Suprematism" works with a short list of elements. Its drums are limited to a sole steady kick, and apart from a stammering, wordless vocal, the only other main ingredient is a pervasive arpeggio. The line rises in and out of a refined, granulated static, and the track's overarching vibe is far more ethereal than it is punishing.
Dettmann's reworking of "Dreams" is a more vivid effort. Its slightly offbeat drums hint at Schaffel techno, while its deep compression and strangulated, reversed accoutrements might also warrant comparison to artists on labels like Werk Discs and Astro:Dynamics. Maybe that sounds a little more leftfield than the music actually is, as Dettmann's trademark muscular push does remain intact underneath. But it's his mix of propulsion and careful, subtle detailing that allows the track to succeed.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player