Venetian Snares Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Planet Mu
Unlike many experimental artists who are lost without song structure, Aaron Funk chooses his quirkiness with precision, skipping over conventional ideas of rhythm and beats. Detroit melodies haunt this Canadian's broken snares like rowdy ghosts, only to plummet into a mad crescendo of carefully phrased noise. "Pwntendo" jumbles and tumbles an odd mish-mash of everyday sounds, but it's Funk's emotional pull that stitches his lack of coherence into something appealing. Even amidst dark, horror-film-like overtones and splintered beats, the drum sequence on "Vache" is something stirring-which helps you see past the painful album title.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player