Venetian Snares Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Planet Mu
Unlike many experimental artists who are lost without song structure, Aaron Funk chooses his quirkiness with precision, skipping over conventional ideas of rhythm and beats. Detroit melodies haunt this Canadian's broken snares like rowdy ghosts, only to plummet into a mad crescendo of carefully phrased noise. "Pwntendo" jumbles and tumbles an odd mish-mash of everyday sounds, but it's Funk's emotional pull that stitches his lack of coherence into something appealing. Even amidst dark, horror-film-like overtones and splintered beats, the drum sequence on "Vache" is something stirring-which helps you see past the painful album title.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player