Verbal Kent & Kaz One Brave New Rap
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Gravel
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since dropping his solo debut in 2003, reliable Chicago rhymer Verbal Kent has avoided hip-hop trends with relative sonic success. But on his fourth LP, and first made exclusively with producer Kaz One, the MC takes his gimmick-free hip-hop a notch higher. While “Wars R’ Us” sees the duo elevating their specialties of synthy boom-bap and sharp battle rap, the remainder of the record accomplishes far more. A booming organ-driven posse cut (“Remove the Gag” feat. Ill Bill and Wordsworth), an energetic examination of systematic propaganda (“Identity Theft”), and a crisp, contemplative joint (“Faith” feat. Braille) all make Brave New Rap an end-to-end burner.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player