Verbal Kent & Kaz One Brave New Rap
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Gravel
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since dropping his solo debut in 2003, reliable Chicago rhymer Verbal Kent has avoided hip-hop trends with relative sonic success. But on his fourth LP, and first made exclusively with producer Kaz One, the MC takes his gimmick-free hip-hop a notch higher. While “Wars R’ Us” sees the duo elevating their specialties of synthy boom-bap and sharp battle rap, the remainder of the record accomplishes far more. A booming organ-driven posse cut (“Remove the Gag” feat. Ill Bill and Wordsworth), an energetic examination of systematic propaganda (“Identity Theft”), and a crisp, contemplative joint (“Faith” feat. Braille) all make Brave New Rap an end-to-end burner.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player