Verbal Kent & Kaz One Brave New Rap
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Gravel
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since dropping his solo debut in 2003, reliable Chicago rhymer Verbal Kent has avoided hip-hop trends with relative sonic success. But on his fourth LP, and first made exclusively with producer Kaz One, the MC takes his gimmick-free hip-hop a notch higher. While “Wars R’ Us” sees the duo elevating their specialties of synthy boom-bap and sharp battle rap, the remainder of the record accomplishes far more. A booming organ-driven posse cut (“Remove the Gag” feat. Ill Bill and Wordsworth), an energetic examination of systematic propaganda (“Identity Theft”), and a crisp, contemplative joint (“Faith” feat. Braille) all make Brave New Rap an end-to-end burner.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player