Vetiver Tight Knit
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
On Vetiver’s fourth full-length, frontman Andy Cabic continues his obsession with early-’70s folk rock and West Coast psychedelia. These tunes waft like summer breezes rolling in off the San Francisco Bay—Cabic’s lazy tenor intoning soft and lonely over scads of tasteful finger-picking and jazzy percussion. This makes Tight Knit real easy on the ears, particularly the gorgeous opener, “Rolling Sea,” and “Everyday,” which sounds like the best song Mojave 3 never wrote. But almost as often, Tight Knit feels too pleased with itself, too comfortable in its own soft skin. Whether it’s white-boy funk or Espers-esque folk dirges, the record’s second half fails to make much of an impression. What’s easy to listen to can be just as easy to forget.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player