Vetiver Tight Knit
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
On Vetiver’s fourth full-length, frontman Andy Cabic continues his obsession with early-’70s folk rock and West Coast psychedelia. These tunes waft like summer breezes rolling in off the San Francisco Bay—Cabic’s lazy tenor intoning soft and lonely over scads of tasteful finger-picking and jazzy percussion. This makes Tight Knit real easy on the ears, particularly the gorgeous opener, “Rolling Sea,” and “Everyday,” which sounds like the best song Mojave 3 never wrote. But almost as often, Tight Knit feels too pleased with itself, too comfortable in its own soft skin. Whether it’s white-boy funk or Espers-esque folk dirges, the record’s second half fails to make much of an impression. What’s easy to listen to can be just as easy to forget.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player