Vetiver Tight Knit
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
On Vetiver’s fourth full-length, frontman Andy Cabic continues his obsession with early-’70s folk rock and West Coast psychedelia. These tunes waft like summer breezes rolling in off the San Francisco Bay—Cabic’s lazy tenor intoning soft and lonely over scads of tasteful finger-picking and jazzy percussion. This makes Tight Knit real easy on the ears, particularly the gorgeous opener, “Rolling Sea,” and “Everyday,” which sounds like the best song Mojave 3 never wrote. But almost as often, Tight Knit feels too pleased with itself, too comfortable in its own soft skin. Whether it’s white-boy funk or Espers-esque folk dirges, the record’s second half fails to make much of an impression. What’s easy to listen to can be just as easy to forget.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player