VHS or Beta Bring on the Comets
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Astralwerks
Louisville, KY-based pogo-punk filter-funk group VHS or Beta aims for dream-pop arena rawk. From the first lucent cascade of chunky chords you can imagine guitarist Craig Pfunder at the front of the stage, one foot on the monitor and an arm outstretched toward the back row. Drawing on Daft Punk, Echo and The Bunnymen, Hum, and VoB collaborators My Morning Jacket, this third album's meaty, metronomic world exhibits plenty of tensile and tinsel strength. Whittled down to a poppier trio, having parted ways with founding guitarist Zeke Buck, their affected new new-wave yowls are less overt even as swelling vocals more deftly anchor curling riffs and centrifugal thwacks.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player