Voodeux The Paranormal
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mothership
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to pull off “creepy” in electronic music without sounding Hollywood-hammy, but Boston/Philadelphia duo Jamie Watts (a.k.a. Kilo Watts) and Tanner Ross have managed to achieve that rare feat of curdling your blood even as they’re prodding you onto the dance floor. The Paranormal is truly on some disorienting horror-film-score shit; think if maverick producers Ricardo Villalobos and Bruno Pronsato plundered Lustmord’s harddrive full of tar-black ambience—Perlon Chaney, perhaps? The result is experimental techno imbued with the sort of ectoplasmic sonic enigmas that the title implies. Voodeux’s future seems very bleak, indeed—and that’s good for the dark side of dance music.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player