Voodeux The Paranormal
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mothership
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to pull off “creepy” in electronic music without sounding Hollywood-hammy, but Boston/Philadelphia duo Jamie Watts (a.k.a. Kilo Watts) and Tanner Ross have managed to achieve that rare feat of curdling your blood even as they’re prodding you onto the dance floor. The Paranormal is truly on some disorienting horror-film-score shit; think if maverick producers Ricardo Villalobos and Bruno Pronsato plundered Lustmord’s harddrive full of tar-black ambience—Perlon Chaney, perhaps? The result is experimental techno imbued with the sort of ectoplasmic sonic enigmas that the title implies. Voodeux’s future seems very bleak, indeed—and that’s good for the dark side of dance music.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player