Voodeux The Paranormal
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mothership
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to pull off “creepy” in electronic music without sounding Hollywood-hammy, but Boston/Philadelphia duo Jamie Watts (a.k.a. Kilo Watts) and Tanner Ross have managed to achieve that rare feat of curdling your blood even as they’re prodding you onto the dance floor. The Paranormal is truly on some disorienting horror-film-score shit; think if maverick producers Ricardo Villalobos and Bruno Pronsato plundered Lustmord’s harddrive full of tar-black ambience—Perlon Chaney, perhaps? The result is experimental techno imbued with the sort of ectoplasmic sonic enigmas that the title implies. Voodeux’s future seems very bleak, indeed—and that’s good for the dark side of dance music.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player