Voodeux The Paranormal
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mothership
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
It’s hard to pull off “creepy” in electronic music without sounding Hollywood-hammy, but Boston/Philadelphia duo Jamie Watts (a.k.a. Kilo Watts) and Tanner Ross have managed to achieve that rare feat of curdling your blood even as they’re prodding you onto the dance floor. The Paranormal is truly on some disorienting horror-film-score shit; think if maverick producers Ricardo Villalobos and Bruno Pronsato plundered Lustmord’s harddrive full of tar-black ambience—Perlon Chaney, perhaps? The result is experimental techno imbued with the sort of ectoplasmic sonic enigmas that the title implies. Voodeux’s future seems very bleak, indeed—and that’s good for the dark side of dance music.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player