Voodoo Child Baby Monkey
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: V2
Moby emerged in 1991 with brooding beat-borne anthems such as "Next Is the E." By 1996, after guitar exorcisms and maudlin manifestos, many were likely chanting the mantra "Next is the why?" So mini-Melville utilized Voodoo Child as his hedonist house alter-ego, and here is his second full-length under the moniker. Inspired by a night out listening to DJs in a Glaswegian tunnel, Baby Monkey is a collection with tunnel vision-throwbacks for throw downs. After all his gospel-tinged, melancholy pop-pump, Moby returns to the straightforward form of four-on-the-floor peppered with synth squiggles, bass pulse and vocal spasms. A welcome return for those left cold by chilled-out, cinematic meditations.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player