Wale Oyejide Africa Hot! The Afrofuture Sessions
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Shaman Work
Nigerian-born producer Wale Oyejide's stated purpose with Africa Hot! is a mash-up of funky Lagos Afrobeat sounds, London broken beat riddims (with assistance from Daz-I-Kue), and Brooklyn underground hip-hop production. And he's got it down, musically, as stuttering beats and space-age retro-future synths swirl under fat horn and percussion sections. But while Oyejide hero Fela Kuti's vocal approach was always simple and direct, it was also lyrical in its fiercely political motivation-somehow, the likes of "Wear a condom/When you pull it out" seems a good message, but naive in its delivery. Mostly great, but with room to grow.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player