Wale Oyejide Africa Hot! The Afrofuture Sessions
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Shaman Work
Nigerian-born producer Wale Oyejide's stated purpose with Africa Hot! is a mash-up of funky Lagos Afrobeat sounds, London broken beat riddims (with assistance from Daz-I-Kue), and Brooklyn underground hip-hop production. And he's got it down, musically, as stuttering beats and space-age retro-future synths swirl under fat horn and percussion sections. But while Oyejide hero Fela Kuti's vocal approach was always simple and direct, it was also lyrical in its fiercely political motivation-somehow, the likes of "Wear a condom/When you pull it out" seems a good message, but naive in its delivery. Mostly great, but with room to grow.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player