Wale Oyejide Africa Hot! The Afrofuture Sessions
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Shaman Work
Nigerian-born producer Wale Oyejide's stated purpose with Africa Hot! is a mash-up of funky Lagos Afrobeat sounds, London broken beat riddims (with assistance from Daz-I-Kue), and Brooklyn underground hip-hop production. And he's got it down, musically, as stuttering beats and space-age retro-future synths swirl under fat horn and percussion sections. But while Oyejide hero Fela Kuti's vocal approach was always simple and direct, it was also lyrical in its fiercely political motivation-somehow, the likes of "Wear a condom/When you pull it out" seems a good message, but naive in its delivery. Mostly great, but with room to grow.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player