Walter Meego Voyager
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Almost Gold
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Load Walter Meego’s Voyager into iTunes and the genre that appears is simply “pop.” And despite the fact that the Chicago duo’s material is built around a dance format, this is a truly apt description. On their debut, the band looks to spit-shine the work of current favorites Hot Chip and Cut Copy using a much-too-sugary formula behind singer Justin Sconza’s whiny vocals. Meego has also clearly spent considerable time with Air’s Moon Safari–tracks like “More Than I Can Say” and “Tomorrowland” copy almost exactly that record’s lounge crooning and spaceship-engine whirs. While their aesthetic at times borders on obnoxious, Voyager’s production is black-toast crisp and its songs retain an almost Beatles-like dedication to melodic precision.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player