We Are Scientists Brain Thrust Mastery
- Words: Connie Hwong
- Label: Astralwerks
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Following their Brit punk/pop-inspired, radio-friendly debut, this New York trio has stripped out their angular, punky guitars and spastically frenetic basslines that anchored Love and Squalor, and instead focus on attaining something akin to gravitas. This new direction emerged after the departure of drummer Michael Tapper in late 2007 (permanent replacement TBA), with the band dabbling in ’80s prog rock, some promising Interpol-inspired guitar epics, and effects-laden dance rock. Despite all this musical flailing, the band's original sound manages to emerge for a couple tracks (especially on "Let's See it"), but eventually, the boys will need to pick a sound and run with it. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player