Wendel Patrick Sound
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Stinking Toe Tree
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Fusing his piano-jazz history with a passion for hip-hop, digital texturing classes in college, and a childhood stint in a Jamaican reggae band, producer Kevin Gift created the moniker Wendel Patrick to give shape and form to this lifelong collection of song forms. Sound is cinematic in many ways, from the meandering and accentuated synthesizer effects to deep, well-formed bass and occasional breaks. Most impressive is when he sits back on a solid groove, like the slightly dark "Rest. Move.," as MC Napoleon Solo drops his own science. It's a fitting summation for Gift: precise, effective, and well thought-out, with plenty of soul to round out any overly heady dynamics.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player