Wendel Patrick Sound
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Stinking Toe Tree
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Fusing his piano-jazz history with a passion for hip-hop, digital texturing classes in college, and a childhood stint in a Jamaican reggae band, producer Kevin Gift created the moniker Wendel Patrick to give shape and form to this lifelong collection of song forms. Sound is cinematic in many ways, from the meandering and accentuated synthesizer effects to deep, well-formed bass and occasional breaks. Most impressive is when he sits back on a solid groove, like the slightly dark "Rest. Move.," as MC Napoleon Solo drops his own science. It's a fitting summation for Gift: precise, effective, and well thought-out, with plenty of soul to round out any overly heady dynamics.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player